Sunday, July 1, 2007

Random Musing(s) # 1

(These will be the places where I toss in thoughts that aren't really connected to any other pieces, but I feel are worth sharing)

A thought occurred to me today.
The English adaptation of Sailor Moon is what I consider to be my introduction to anime. I know I watched other things when I was younger, but Sailor Moon was the first time that I was watching anime, and realized that there was something more. A different art style, a deeper story. Something hooked me and I wanted to see more.

When it began airing on Boston's WLVI 56 (that's before it was even an affiliate of the WB) as part of its run in syndication, it was the summer of 1995. I was twelve. It's now 2007 and this August will mark twelve years since I started seeing anime being what one could consider a fan. I've been a fan of anime for almost half my life now. That's something deep right there.

It helped me get through the most difficult eight months of my life when my mother was ill with a brain tumor. (Although some credit must also be given to the Barenaked Ladies album, Stunt) It gave me something to hold on to when I was re-learning who I was in the months after she passed away. My love of it helped me make some of the best friends of my life, whether they're ones that have since gone separate paths from me, or hung around for the long haul. Even simpler, it's given me fun interesting conversations with people I've never seen prior or since. It got me interested in a culture that I didn't know much about, and put me on a plane to go immerse myself in it for three and a half months.

I can no longer say that anime is my only reason for my interest in Japanese culture, but for certain, it was my strongest push into things. I'd peered into it before, like a diver just before jumping off a board, I'd glanced into waters and taken a glimpse at what was visible right away, and had a few hints about what might be below the surface. But anime was what pushed me off and helped me take the plunge. And soon, I will be able to say with smile, that I've spent over half my life, watching, reading, learning about, and experiencing a medium that I found value in.

No comments: