Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Random Musing(s) #2

Friend: Didn't you say you were going to talk about more than just anime with that blog of yours?
Nigoki: Indeed I did.

Friend: Well then, why haven't you? Maybe you could show something that you miss from being in Japan or something.

Nigoki: Ok


And that is how I arrived to where I am now. Indeed, there are things that after spending my Fall 2005 semester in Saitama, I can say I miss from Japan.

One thing that comes to mind is Vending Machines. - While their presence makes resisting temptation harder (I'm especially glad that I'm not a smoker, nor had any inclination to become while in Japan) they are particularly helpful on those humid days when you need something cool off with. On a walk that was only about 6-8minutes from the train station to my host parents' place, I would pass no less than 3 pairs of drink machines. (This doesn't include the machines on the train platform mind you) I became especially fond of many of the machines that offered cans of coffee. Available in warmed or cooled cans, and more varieties than one would ever think (Seriously it's insane) it makes getting caffeine fix, or just something to warm up/cool down with oh so much easier. The hardest part is resisting the urge at times. Most vending machines take 10 to 500 yen coins(the largest coin). Many of us Americans find it easy to forget the value in the coins with the largest coins we usually carry being a quarter, so only spending a few out of pocket doesn't feel like it's as much. Harder still is most machines take the smallest bill in Japanese currency too. You figure the American $1 bill is disposable. What about 1000 yen? At current rates that's about $8.18
But sometimes, it's worth giving into temptation. As for my favorite variety of canned coffee I'd have to agree with Suntory Boss's motto. It's the boss of them all.

No comments: